Cheapest Way to Move My Stuff
What’s the Cheapest Way to Move My Stuff?
If you’ve just begun calculating moving costs for an upcoming relocation, you’ve likely noticed that the moving service is going to be your biggest expense. While it’s often understood that renting a moving truck and doing everything yourself is the most affordable way to move, this isn’t always the case – especially if you’re moving long distance. When you factor in all the various additional costs such as gas, lodging, and food on the road, you’ll likely end up spending more to move yourself than you would by hiring a professional moving company.
So, if you’re trying to find the cheapest way to move your stuff, it makes sense that finding an affordable moving company is a good place to start. If your goal is to find a low-cost moving option that doesn’t compromise quality customer service, consider Three Men And A Truck. For both local and long-distance moves, our rates tend to be the most affordable – and you don’t have to worry about handling any of the heavy lifting yourself!
Understand the Costs of DIY vs. Professional Services
One of the best things you can do for yourself when planning a move is to not automatically assume that hiring movers will be more expensive than DIYing your move. Although that rental truck may look like a great deal, it’s very common for individuals to put so much effort into a move, only to realize that they’ve actually spent far more than they would have on professional movers. Consider the following tips when comparing your options to ensure that you make the best choice for you:
- When considering a professional moving company, make sure to gather at least three quotes from different companies. Contrary to what you may think, negotiating with movers is possible.
- Do plenty of research before you book a company. Check online reviews and ask for references from previous customers to ensure that you’re going with a reputable company.
- When moving yourself, understand how much stuff you have and what needs to be moved. If you have a lot of heavy, bulky items, they may be best left to the professionals.
- Be sure to factor the cost of moving supplies into your DIY move. Aside from boxes, you’ll also need all of the necessary materials to ensure that your furniture and household goods are fully protected during transit. When you hire professional movers, they come equipped with all the proper tools and materials, which is included in the cost.
- If a DIY move still looks more affordable, try to plan your move to avoid rush hour. Whether you’re renting a moving truck or using your own, the weight of the vehicle is already going to give you poor gas mileage and being stuck in traffic is only going to make it worse. You can save time and money on gas by driving during off-peak hours.
Ditch Some (or All) of Your Stuff
Donating or selling some of your household items will not only earn you some extra cash you can put towards your move, it’ll also eliminate extra weight. Most moving companies use weight to estimate their cost. Moving is no better time to take stock of your belongings and decide what you actually need and do not need.
Or, if you want a more drastic approach, sell everything. While this may sound like a step in the wrong direction, you can actually make a decent amount of money selling all of your old stuff. Once you’ve done that, you’ll have plenty of cash to upgrade. Of course, this approach isn’t for everyone and the value of selling everything largely depends on the value of the items being sold. Not to mention, there’s obviously going to be some things you simply cannot live without.
Regardless, this idea of ruthlessly reducing your resources will ultimately help you realize what really matters – saving you money on your move in the long run!
Don’t Pay for Boxes
Boxes are crucial to any move, which is why they can be pretty expensive when you need to purchase dozens of them to pack up an entire house. Fortunately, buying boxes is absolutely unnecessary when there are a number of ways you can get them for free:
- Ask around at your local grocery store, moving theater, or mall. They likely have tons of boxes that get thrown in the recycling every night.
- Gather empty boxes from your office or workplace – the boxes that printer paper comes in are incredibly durable and large enough to hold most items.
- Check with your local liquor store, as boxes that are strong enough to hold crates of glass bottles will certainly be able to handle your knickknacks.
- Ask your friends or family members who may have moved recently. Or, post a request on your social media to see if anyone is willing to lend you their used boxes.
- Check the free section on Craigslist or peruse your neighborhood on garbage or recycling day. You never know who might have recently moved and are trying to get rid of their boxes.
- Go dumpster diving at mid-sized stores in your area. You can often find perfectly sized boxes in the back alleys of many of your favorite stores.
Move During Off-Season
Many people assume that summer is the best time to move because it’s warm, sunny, and most get time off of work or school. However, everyone having the same thought translates to summer being the busiest season for the moving industry. As a result, the cost to move tends to be significantly higher during the summer months.
With that said, if you’re on a tight budget, looking for the cheapest way to move your stuff, and have some flexibility with moving dates, consider moving during fall or winter. Also, try to avoid moving on weekends or during holiday breaks. This is considered off-season for the moving industry and it’s not uncommon to find moving companies lowering their rates by as much as 30 percent.
Aside from saving money, relocating during fall or winter gives you a greater choice of moving dates. Due to the decrease in demand during cooler months, moving companies will be more likely to accommodate your desired pick up and drop off dates.
The Cheapest Way to Move Your Stuff: Three Men And A Truck
Although DIYing a relocation may sometimes be cheaper, hiring professional movers is always the safest, most efficient and most convenient way to move. Without a doubt, affordable moving prices are important, but you should never sacrifice quality just to get the best deal. Not to mention, you’ll also be spared from all the stress and physical exertion that comes with moving – leaving you to focus on more important things and use your time more productively.
With excellent prices, outstanding customer services, and moving services that will satisfy every need and budget, consider Three Men And A Truck for your next relocation and we’ll work with you to find the option that works best for you and your situation. Contact us today by filling out our convenient online form to receive your FREE, no-obligation moving quote and to find out how you could save up to 20% when you move with Three Men And A Truck!