Moving Company Prices, Houston TX
Whether you’re moving to Houston, within the city, or leaving the area entirely, the process can be intimidating. Nicknamed the Bayou City, Houston is a big city, full of excellent school districts, a number of diverse neighborhoods, and plenty of options for affordable housing. With these factors and a range of attractions throughout the city and a strong job market, you’re sure to find an abundance of moving choices in Houston.
If you’re in search of movers in the Houston area, cost is likely going to be one of the first things that comes to mind. When you have such a major transition in your life, it’s only natural to want to know how much it’s going to cost to hire professional Houston movers. Generally speaking, movers in Houston have rates that are close to the national average. Though, as every move is unique, average is a metric that simply will not work with every household. There are a number of additional costs involved when moving, including those that apply to navigating certain obstacles and moving unique items.
With that said, in order to obtain the most accurate Houston Texas mover rate, it’s best to seek out an accurate quote from a reputable moving company. This will ensure that there are no surprises when your moving day rolls around. However, disclaimer aside, what is the average cost to hire movers in Houston?
What is the Average Cost to Hire Movers in Houston?
In general, Houston moving companies either charge by the hour or a rate based on the weight of the items moved, depending on the distance. For short distances, or local Houston moves, you can expect to spend an average of $2,000. Whereas, for a long-distance move, the average sits closer to around $4,000.
Again, it’s important to remember that these numbers are just starting points. The actual cost to hire movers in Houston may be higher or lower depending on the unique moving situation. Therefore, in order to obtain the most accurate rate and get a clear idea of what Houston movers are going to cost, it’s highly advisable to get an estimate from a professional moving company.
What Factors Affect Moving Prices in Houston?
Since every household and every move is different, several factors come into play when determining the rate for hiring Houston movers. The only way to understand what the exact cost will be is to request estimates from multiple moving companies. With that said, here are some of the factors that may alter the cost of hiring Houston movers:
- The type of move. Each moving company operates a bit differently when it comes to calculating moving rates. However, more often than not, they charge hourly for intrastate moves – or, moves that are executed within 50 miles. The hourly rate for Houston movers typically ranges between $25 and $50 an hour, per mover. If the move takes movers over state lines (an interstate move) or if the distance is over 50 miles, then the cost is calculated based on weight. While this can drive up the price, it gives an accurate estimate to plan in advance for the move.
- The property size and layout. Standard moving estimates usually assume that movers can easily access the property. If there are any obstacles that slow down your moving crew, you may incur additional fees. This is something that will generally be determined and disclosed during the moving estimate. In most cases, this type of fee is assessed when the distance from the property to the moving truck is especially long. Or, you may incur a fee if the movers need to haul items via elevator, up and down stairs, or even through a window.
- Bulky or heavy items. Moving companies often charge an extra fee for hauling items that are extremely heavy, bulky, or awkward. This includes specialty items like pool tables, hot tubs, pianos, motorcycles, artwork, and large pieces of furniture. Although some may not be difficult to move, they might require additional protection to keep safe during transport.
- When the move takes place. You can expect your Houston movers to charge more if your move occurs during peak season. The most common time to move tends to be at the end of the month, during a weekend, and in the summer. Typical supply and demand drives up the price during these times. To help keep costs down, try scheduling your move outside of the summer months and in the middle of the week.
- Additional services. If you select additional services from your moving company, such as packing and unpacking, you can expect to pay extra.
Low-Cost Houston Movers
When it comes to moving, nearly everyone looks for a deal. However, you should use caution when you come across a particularly low estimate. Just like most other industries, you tend to get what you pay for with Houston movers, meaning a very cheap estimate comes with cheap service. Low estimates may also be a red flag for a fraud attempt. It’s very common for moving companies who are looking to scam you to promise a ridiculously low estimate, load up all your items, and then throw additional fees at you. If your refuse to pay, the movers will keep your things hostage until you pay up.
Therefore, don’t always hire the Houston movers that offer the lowest rates. Shop around, collect quotes from multiple companies, and make sure that you are receiving quality service from a reputable moving company, at an affordable price that fits within your budget. Trust us, doing plenty of research about the movers you hire will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
Why Three Men And A Truck as Your Houston Movers
When you hire Three Men And A Truck, you get licensed and insured Houston movers that won’t cost you a fortune. We offer an array of moving services that can be tailored to your unique situation. That way, you stay in control of your moving budget and only receive the services that you need. Just need Houston movers to load up your rental truck? We’ve got you covered! Or, do you want to book a full-service move that includes packing and unpacking? We can handle that too.
At Three Men And A Truck, all of our movers are screened, background checked, and go through rigorous training to ensure that your belongings are in good hands. The level of quality that we strive to provide is meant for your protection. It is our goal to provide you with excellent service that exceeds your expectations and delivers a stress-free moving experience every time.
If you arrived on this page looking for Houston mover rates, look no further! As previously mentioned, the best way to obtain a better understanding about what it’s going to cost to hire movers in Houston is to speak with a professional moving company. Fill out our convenient online request form or call us the number listed at the top of this page to get your free, no-obligation moving estimate started!
Contact us today to find out how you could save up to 20% when you choose Three Men And A Truck as your Houston movers.