How Much Do Movers Charge For a Long-Distance Move?
There are a lot of variables involved in long-distance moves. Choosing the right moving company is the first step in the process. Once you know the company you are going to go with, they will be able to help you with all the fine details of the move. Three Men and A Truck are skilled with long-distance moves. They have business offices all over the United States, which makes them easily accessible no matter where your move takes you.
Getting Your Quote
When you know the date of your move, you need to call for a quote with enough time for the moving company to complete all of the paperwork and necessary items on their end. A rule of thumb is to call at least one week before the scheduled move. For a long-distance move, it would be recommended to call as soon as you know your plans. Some states have regulations about taking items across state lines, which will need to be checked for quote purposes.
What Takes Place When Receiving A Quote
Getting a quote is free with Three Men and A Truck. They will gather information from you about the location you are moving from and where you need it moved to. An in-person or virtual tour of the items you need to move will be conducted. This helps with choosing the size truck that is suitable for your move, as well as the number of workers that will be needed.
Once the quote has been compiled, it will reflect what you can expect to pay. Keep in mind that other add-ons may not be reflected within your quote.
Add-On Services To Ask About
Moving companies have a plethora of additional services that they offer. Full-service moving companies like Three Men and A Truck provide fantastic amenities that are not much more expensive than the move itself. Make sure to ask about these when getting your quote.
Common Add-On Services
- Packing Services
- Some moving companies will take complete control of your move for you. Packing is a tedious task that can become overwhelming quickly. Finding the right packing materials and wrapping fragile items can be a nightmare if you don’t have experience doing it.
- Adding packing services to your long-distance move might be the solution you need. Skilled moving specialists know how to pack items and keep them organized efficiently. This service can run up to $35 an hour, but packaging supplies are often included in that price.
- Some people choose to store some of their items when they are moving. Three Men and A Truck have storage solutions available for you. The charge for this is often based on the size of the until and paid every month.
- Insurance Coverage
- Moving companies carry liability insurance on any items in their possession during a move. This liability insurance rate is commonly valued at $.60 per pound of household goods. This is the insurance that is included with your price, required to be carried at a minimum.
- When you are moving items that are a lot more expensive than the general liability coverage will cover, then it will be time to ask about the extended insurance coverage options. These types of insurance are typically time-sensitive, so make sure you ask your customer service representative when it has to be decided upon so that you can elect to add it in time for your move.
- If you decide that you don’t want a stranger packing your belongings for you, you can opt to do it yourself. A lot of moving companies have various types of moving supplies that you can purchase at a cheaper rate than getting them from a general store.
- These supplies are not going to be in your initial quote unless you ask for them to be. Make sure you know what you will need to pack and secure your belongings for transport.
- Automotive Transport
- A long-distance move does not automatically mean that you are transporting your vehicle instead of driving it. If you need for Three Men and A Truck to transport your car when we transport your belongings, you will need to specify this for your quote. We offer affordable rates for automobile transport, so no need to worry about getting your transportation to your new home in excellent condition.
Bottom Line Pricing
The cheapest way to move long-distance is to ask about full-service options. The more options you ask for, the bigger the savings will be in the long run. Long-distance moves are made based on weight and mileage when determining price. Most people use moving as an excuse to get rid of things that they no longer need or use. Why do they do this? It cuts down on the weight and the space required for the move.
Take into account when you are planning your move. Choosing to move outside of peak times, like spring and summer, can save you money. The same goes for a mid-week move. There are only so many weekends in a year, and people are all trying to get those.
On average, a long-distance move is going to cost you over $1000. Depending on how far you need to move items, you could be looking at close to $5000. That is a vast range, but there is a reason for this. Homes come in all different sizes. People have all kinds of stuff that has been accumulated over the years, especially if moving from a home they have been in since they were children.
Starting The Process
The only way you can get an accurate quote is to call Three Men and A Truck. They can give you a quote that is specific to your situation. The variables that can be incorporated in a long-distance move make it hard to provide an accurate “what if” idea at a cost. That is why Three Men and A Truck give no cost or obligation quotes to ensure that you are getting the best quote in the business.