Although moving in New York City is never fun, it doesn’t have to be that miserable of a task. If your lease is expiring soon and you’re wondering how much it will cost to hire professional movers in NYC, remember the general rule of thumb. The cost of moving in the Big Apple can vary as much as day varies from night. At Three Men and A Truck, our goal is to ensure that you have the most pleasant, cost-effective moving experience possible. We try to plan and execute the move to be stress- free on our customers so that they can focus on their family or work. We can shoulder the responsibility of packing and moving, if you are too busy to do it.
How do I budget for a move in NYC?
Unless you move outside the city, chances are you’ll be moving from one apartment to another. Furthermore, you’ll quickly discover that no two apartment buildings are alike. Consequently, moving companies can’t offer a fix cost when it comes to relocating within the city. If you’re trying to create a budget for that move, take the following variables into consideration:
- amount of furniture that needs to be moved
- disassembly and reassembly of furniture
- ease of access (i.e., distance from the street, elevator vs. stairs, etc.)
- heavy items being moved (e.g. piano, pool table, etc.)
- moving distance to your new location
- number of boxes you have packed
Additionally, Three Men and A Truck recommends that you get price quotes from several moving companies in order to compare price quotes and help you your decision on the company to hire.
How much will it cost to hire professional movers in NYC?
Depending on who you’re dealing with, the moving company you hire will either charge you by the hour or a flat rate. Many renters prefer being charged a flat rate so that the less reputable movers are unable to overcharge them. So, let’s do the math with the following example:
You’re moving from a 2nd floor single bedroom apartment to a 3rd floor single bedroom apartment. The distance to your new place is 8 miles. You have a bed, a couch, and maybe 1 or 2 other large pieces of furniture, but it’s nothing extremely heavy like a piano. Based on the average moving company estimate, it will cost you between $100 and $150/hr. or a flat rate of $750 for a move that takes 6 hours to complete.
Add in the cost of boxes and packing tape and you’re looking at about $950. If you tip the moving crew (and you should), 10% is the standard industry gratuity rate. This brings the cost of the move to roughly $1,050. If you have valuable items such as expensive art or high-end furniture, you’ll want to discuss your needs with a Three Men and A Truck representative. We are available to view it all and then give you a written, no obligation quote. We are one of the most cost-effective professional movers and can help you.
What’s the best way to prepare for a move in NYC?
Moving can be just as stressful in NYC yet it can be an exciting experience as well. Not only do you have a lot to move, you are concerned with keeping it organized, protected, and undamaged. Here are several tips that will help take some of the hassle out of your intercity move without losing your belongings as well as your grip on reality and your temper:
- Avoid unnecessary work and unnecessary expenses – you’re going to be doing a lot as it is so work smarter, not harder. Also, save time to ensure that the apartment is clean once you are ready to leave. Unless you don’t care about getting that hefty security deposit back that you paid up front when you moved in.
- Get rid of items you no longer need or want – this is the perfect time to be charitable with items that some people need more than you do. Donating items to Goodwill or Salvation Army is a great way to help others and it’s tax-deductible.
- Organize, organize, and organize some more – a moving to-do list can be as long as a person’s arm. However, your burden will become increasingly lighter the more you organize and prepare for the move. Create a checklist by mapping out all that needs to be done. This normally involves several days so keep track of things on your calendar. If you break things down into smaller daily tasks, you’ll feel like you’re accomplishing more and making the move more manageable.
To learn more about moving in New York City or to get a FREE price quote, call Three Men And A Truck today.