How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Container from State to State?
In most instances, a truck would be enough to fit all your belongings. But, if you need to transport your entire home or move your office to a new location, then you may be considering using a house moving container to ship everything from one state to another.
How much does it cost to ship a container from state to state and is the investment worth it?
Let’s find out!
The Average Cost of Shipping a Container
The average cost of shipping a container from one state to another is around $3,000, although this price can be heavily influenced by a lot of factors.
The average cost for a one-bedroom apartment is around $2,000 while for a 5-bedroom house you could pay as much as $4,500.
The average cost of shipping a container is about $2.50 per mile.
How Is This Cost Calculated?
As mentioned above, a lot of things can influence the cost of your shipment, such as:
- The Weight or Volume of the Cargo: It goes without saying that the larger or heavier the shipment, the higher the costs;
- The Type of Transport? Are you transporting your cargo via air freight or sea freight? Sea freight is usually cheaper than air freight, although the waiting time is considerably longer. However, not everyone needs sea freight, in which case you can choose between truck freight or train freight. Truck freight is faster and more flexible while train freight is cheaper and more environmentally friendly.
- The Distance: If you are going to ship the container across the country, then it’s going to cost more than if you were to ship it to the neighboring state. The price also adds up if you opt for door-to-door services, meaning the company is going to transport your belongings from your old home to your new one.
- The Time of the Year: The peak season is during summer, meaning that the demand is greater and the rates higher. If you can, schedule your move off-season when the rates are at their lowest.
- FCL vs LCL: Depending on the size of your belongings, you may not need to use an entire container. In this case, you can share the space of a container with other customers. This option is called Less than Container Load (LCL) and is generally cheaper than FCL (Full Container Load,) where you have to pay for the price of an entire container.
We Can Help!
Are you relocating long-distance and don’t know what the best option for transporting your belonging is? Three Men and a Truck can expertly handle your move from A to Z and at affordable rates. Whether you need to move your office, transport your entire home or ship your car, we have the team, resources, and experience to make your relocation stress-free.
Contact us to request a free quote.