Relocation is never easy. Whether you’re relocating down the street, across town, across the state, or across the U.S., Three Men And A Truck can streamline the process and make your experience as pleasant as possible. We understand how moving can take a serious toll on a person, not only physically, but emotionally and financially as well. Although it may be difficult to handle the emotions of leaving a home you’ve lived in for years, we can help alleviate the financial and physical burden involved. However, it does help to plan in advance so that the move becomes a less stressful process.
How much will it cost me to move?
No matter where your new home is located, there are several factors involved in determining the cost of your move. However, the two most crucial factors will be the distance to your new location and the weight of the load we ship. Here are the primary factors that will influence the cost of your move:
- Distance – the general rule of thumb is “the greater the distance, the higher the cost.” This is due to factors such as fuel costs, time on the road, etc.
- Weight – moving costs increase proportionately with the size and weight of the load we are transporting.
The third most important factor considered is the complexity of the job. This entails any additional services, obstacles, and special handling requirements that would make the moving process more difficult, riskier, and take longer for Three Men and A Truck moving services to complete.
What other factors should I take into consideration?
There are multiple factors to consider. In addition to the three determining factors above, there are 3 secondary factors that could play a significant role in adding to the cost of your move. This includes:
- Liability insurance coverage – we provide basic liability coverage for free when you sign a moving contract with Three Men and A Truck moving services. However, there are limits based on how much per pound of each item. If you want full coverage on the total value of your items, this will involve an additional cost.
- Special needs and requirements – as we mentioned above, every extra service you request carries an additional cost. This could be due to the circumstances surrounding the need for these services, but other services are optional and you’ll need to decide if you want to pay for those or not.
- Time of year – summer is typically the busiest “moving” season of the year because children are out of school, people have more free time, and the weather is nicer. As a result, most moving companies tend to be extremely busy from May to September and will charge more move you this time of year.
In addition to these 6 cost influencing factors, you may need moving supplies, packing services, and/or temporary storage, all of which will add to the cost. To cut costs, borrow extra supplies from friends or family or you can even buy used boxes.
Are my moving expenses tax deductible?
Unfortunately, moving expenses are no longer tax deductible unless you’re a member of the US armed forces or the spouse or dependent of an active member. Furthermore, your expenses must have been due to a permanent change of station. However, check with your state government as some still allow you to claim moving expenses on your state income tax return.
What can I do to lower my moving costs?
We understand that many families and individuals have tight budgets when it comes to hiring professional movers. So, Three Men And A Truck has a few suggestions for cutting moving costs.
First and foremost, we advise customers to do a pre-moving purge and get rid of all unnecessary items. You can donate your unnecessary clothing, furniture, and other odds and ends to a charity or local thrift store. You can have a garage sale or yard sale to help with your moving costs as well. If you can’t afford our professional packing services, enlist the help of other family members and friends. Ensure that you mark each box as per the room contents. This will help you unpack faster when you reach your destination.
Another suggestion would be to find free moving boxes that your local chain, grocery, and liquor stores have discarded after stocking their shelves. This will save you the cost of purchasing moving boxes from Home Depot or U-Haul. Also, pick a less expensive date to move, such as mid-month or mid-week. Finally, be sure to save all receipts associated with your move if you find out that your state allows you to deduct moving expenses on your income tax return. To know more about our moving services, or to get a free no-obligation quote on your move please call us today.