Inexpensive Moving Companies Near You
Are you moving on a tight budget? Or, in search of “inexpensive movers near me?” Unless you are a devoted minimalist, the moving process can be intimidating – especially when you’re on a tight budget. How can you get all your stuff moved from your current home to your new space without putting up a significant amount of cash in the process? Continue reading for a guide to moving on a tight budget and finding the best inexpensive movers in your area.
DIY vs. Professional Movers
It is a common misconception that hiring movers will be more expensive that executing the move yourself. Don’t always assume that this is the case. Although rental trucks may appear like a good deal, too many DIYers put a lot of time, effort and money into their moves. At the end of it all, they typically realize that they have spent far more on a U-Haul than what it would’ve costed to simply hire professional movers. Consider these tips for weighing the options and deciding what’s best for you and your move:
- When hiring professional movers, collect at least three quotes from separate companies. Contrary to what you may think, it is possible to negotiate with movers. Even the moving industry has an off-season. If you can hold off your move until the fall or winter, most companies have lower rates, sometimes as low as 30 percent! This is the best time of the year to find inexpensive movers.
- Do plenty of research and perform a background check by checking online reviews, and asking for references from past customers. If you decide to hire the pros, considering deconstructing your furniture yourself. Although some include this service in their price, some movers may charge you extra to disassemble and reassemble furniture.
- If DIY still looks to be more affordable to you, plan your move around rush hour. Whether you’re stuffing your personal car or renting a truck, the vehicle will get poor gas mileage due to the weight. Save yourself both money and time by executing the move during off-peak hours.
- If you’re looking for something in between hiring professionals and bribing your friends with pizza and beer, consider portable storage units. A number of moving companies offer this service. You load the unit up yourself, the company picks it up and transports it to your new place, and you unload it.
Ask About Moving Discounts
If you’ve decided to hire professional movers, you can get the best rate by inquiring about moving discounts. AAA offers moving discounts for members and many moving companies offer reduced rates during different times throughout the year (like the slow seasons, as previously mentioned). If you are an active military member or a veteran, look for movers that offer a military discount. These moving companies will offer discounts to members of the military, veterans, and their families. They will also understand your very particular needs in regards to your military move. Some companies even offer senior discounts, so always be sure to ask about what moving discounts you may qualify for.
Many companies offer these types of discounts to help lure in customers, so they’re usually very transparent about them. However, if the company doesn’t explicitly mention their discounts, it doesn’t hurt to ask!
Purge Your Belongings
One of the best ways to save money on your move is to get rid of your belongings that you no longer have a use for. Put simply, if you lighten your load, you will pay much less in moving costs. In the early stages of planning your relocation, go through each room in your home and set aside the items you want to throw out or donate. Host a yard sale, sell what you do not need on Offer Up, Craigslist or similar sites, donate what you can to local charities, and stop buying new things prior to your move. Taking some extra time to declutter your home will make your move both easier and cheaper.
Compare Moving Quotes
Arguably, the best method for finding inexpensive movers “near me,” is to compare multiple companies. Choosing the right company for the job is among one of the main concerns among people looking for inexpensive movers. Some companies local to you may seem like they are offering the best deal in the area. However, there are fraudulent movers looking to scam people around every corner. By comparing the estimates from two or more moving companies before hiring them, you will almost always save money on your move.
Moving quotes will differ from company to company. For instance, some movers may have a fixed rate based on the distance of your move, while others will form the final price depending on the size of your home’s inventory. There are also many movers who will offer discounts during certain times of the year. Because of the substantial differences in the ways that companies estimate their prices, you should always collect quotes from multiple companies. This gives you some insight on how they operate and allows you to weed out the scammers.
Quick Tip: A company that advertises themselves as a “discount mover” might provide you with a low price initially but end up taking on extras that you may not have paid with a higher priced company. Therefore, always read the fine print and ask about hidden fees.
These moving quotes are always a rough estimate of your final moving costs. However, a reliable moving company should let you know how much the final price may differ from the initial estimate. Once you receive the estimates, draft a list of the similarities and differences between them. Measure costs and services. Notate the factors that each company includes in their price and, to receive the most accurate quote, make sure you provide all of the necessary details about your move.
How to Avoid Potential Scams
Unfortunately, just like most industries, the cheapest price doesn’t always correlate with a reputable moving company. In fact, the moving industry is fraught with scammers and shady companies. To ensure that you hire the best inexpensive movers near you, make sure that they have the following:
- A listing on a review site or directory such as BBB or Yelp
- Is the company apart of the chamber of commerce or another local organization?
- State licensure and insurance information
- A strong internet presence and numerous positive reviews
Inexpensive Movers Near Me
If you’ve typed “inexpensive movers near me” into your search bar, you’ve come to the right place. Three Men And A Truck is one of the best, yet affordable, moving companies in the industry. We’ve been executing residential moves, commercial moves, and everything in between for over 20 years. We strive to exceed customer expectations each time we perform a move and always offer the most reasonable prices. Many other inexpensive movers charge an hourly rate to relocate your belongings but, at Three Men And A Truck, we stick to our rates and never overcharge you for hidden fees.
We are the best choice for inexpensive, experienced, professional, and insured movers near you. Contact us today to schedule your FREE, no-obligation moving quote and find out how you could save up to 20% on your next relocation!