International Movers Abu Dhabi
Overseas Moving Companies Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates, is a feast for the eyes and senses. A nation of immense wealth, the architecture, technological innovation, and pure swagger of Abu Dhabi is unlike anything you’ve ever seen.
While United Arab Emirates is known for their technology and innovation, there are some very traditional aspects of Emirati culture that foreigners should heed. Drinking alcohol is nearly illegal. In fact, in order to be permitted to consume alcohol you must apply for a permit. The consequences for breaking this or other laws in Abu Dhabi can be severe, and you can be arrested for something as simple as cursing in public.
Can I import my household goods to Abu Dhabi?
You are welcome to bring you household goods when you move overseas to Abu Dhabi. Your shipment will be closely inspected by the Dubai Port Authority upon your arrival. You must be physically present during the customs clearance process, which can take up to 5 days, so don’t make other plans. Fortunately, the UAE government offers free port storage for your goods for up to a week.
The UAE has some special rules that you must follow, including:
- Don’t bring any religious materials, of any sort. The rules are very strict and any literature or media that even appears to disparage Islam will cause you considerable trouble. It just isn’t worth it.
- Prescription medications must be accompanied with written prescriptions. Note that not every drug that is legal in the U.S. is legal in other countries. Check with your local embassy to be sure.
- All media – books, videos, photos, music – must be packed separately as they are subject to rigorous inspection. Sexual, religious, political, or otherwise controversial items will again cause you considerable trouble. Leave it home if there’s a chance of causing offense.
- Don’t bring new items that you haven’t owned for at least six months.
Customs officials are going to want to see some paperwork from you as well. You will need to provide:
- Bill of Lading or Air Waybill
- Valid Passport
- Emirati residence permit
- Letter from your employer in UAE
- Box-by-box inventory with serial numbers and other details
Can I import my vehicle to Abu Dhabi?
Yes, but you may need to have extensive modifications done in order for it to be safely driven in Abu Dhabi, and you may also be embarrassed to be seen with your vehicle when you see what cars are like in a city like Abu Dhabi.
Your vehicle will be assessed for value and you will be charged 5% of that value as a customs duty. You must provide customs officials with several documents, including:
- Title and registration from your country of origin
- Bill of sale
- Emirati residence permit
- International insurance policy
What does it cost to move to Abu Dhabi?
The cost to move a shipping container to Abu Dhabi from Fort Lauderdale, Florida is between $7,100 – $11,800. From Perth, Australia to Abu Dhabi, the cost will be about $8,400 – $14,000. Why the wide range of prices? Because it can be hard to predict additional costs that come up along the way like “fine print” fees and charges.
Working with a shipper like Three Men and a Truck is a great way to avoid unwelcome surprises. When you contact us, we listen carefully to your wants and needs so that we can provide you with an accurate shipping quote you can count on. Reach out today to learn more.