Moving Companies United Kingdom To Germany
Once upon a time, the UK was part of the European Union and things were simple. In those times, citizens of the UK could move freely between the UK and Germany without a need for visa or other paperwork.
Today, things are different. As of January 1, 2021, the divorce between the UK and the European Union has been finalized. Does that mean that you cannot move to Germany from the UK? No, but it does mean that the requirements have changed. This guide will give you the basics.
Cost to Move from the UK to Germany
Moving from the UK to Germany is usually done by sea freight, at least to cross the pond, and then over land by shipping container, carried by Europe’s impressive railway system. On average, moving a full-container load over land from the UK to Germany will cost between €3,500 – €4,800 and arrive in 2-4 days. Half-container loads are usually €400-500 less. With sea transport, the cost will be around €4,700 – €6,400, and the trip will take more than 3 weeks.
Importing Household Goods to Germany
If you’re moving to Germany, you are probably wondering about taxes or customs duty. For most household moves, you can import your goods to Germany free of custom and border taxes.
To qualify for tax-free imports, you must provide documentation to support:
- Official termination of your residence in the UK (This proof could be in the form of a lease termination, documentation from the sale of your home, or a letter from your employer.)
- Proof of new residence in Germany (This proof could be in the form of a lease agreement, Einwohnermeldeamt [A fancy German word for German police registration], or a letter from your German employer.)
- Proof of residency in the UK for at least the past 12 months
As of now, you must have a visa if you plan to stay in Germany for more than 90 days out of any 180-day period. In order to establish legal residence, you will need to apply for a work visa or resident status.
Within two weeks of your arrival, you must also register with the local police and residency office. It is here that you will obtain your official certificate of registration (Meldebestätigung).
You will be asked to provide:
- Valid visa, passport, or national identity card
- A completed registration form they will provide (Anmeldeformular)
- A copy of your German lease or rental agreement (Mietvertrag) as proof of your residency
Immigration and import laws are subject to change as individual countries react to local conditions. Working with an overseas shipping company takes this part off your plate, as it becomes our responsibility to ensure that the rules are followed. If you choose not to work with an overseas moving company, it is important that you closely monitor changes to the rules. Contacting your local German embassy can yield valuable information as well.
Importing a Vehicle to Germany
If you can provide documentation proving your permanent residence in Germany, you can import your vehicle free of duty and VAT. The requirements for this vehicle tax-exemption are the same as for your household imports. You must prove that you have given up your residence in the UK, that you are moving permanently to Germany, and that you have lived in the UK for at least a year.
Once your vehicle has safely arrived in Germany, you will also need to register it. Here are the documents you will need to provide:
- Valid Passport or Other ID
- Proof of Vehicle Ownership (free of liens or encumbrances)
- Proof of Address in Germany
- Customs Clearance
- Export Permit
- Vehicle Registration from the UK
- Insurance Card
- Proof of Roadworthiness and Emissions Testing
- Certification from the German Federal Motor Vehicle Registry proving that the vehicle has not previously been registered in Germany
Three Men and a Truck
Moving across town is one thing, and an international move is entirely another. You can’t transport your goods the same way, or even pack the same way. Working with an international moving company like Three Men and a Truck is a great investment. Our international shipping experts live and breathe international shipping rules and logistics so that you don’t have to. Contact us today for your free, no-obligation cheap moving quote.