Moving Overseas to or From Albania
If you are considering an international move, your best choice will be to work with overseas movers who have international expertise. This will ease the stress of navigating complex rules in foreign countries and allow you to receive a shipping quote that encompasses all costs.
The costs that are associated with moving internationally can be confusing. There are a lot of different fees, taxes, and other expenses, some of which you won’t find out about until the moment they are due. It is possible to estimate your shipping container cost however, so you can use this information as a baseline. Moving a full shipping container from New York City to Albania will cost between $2,800-$3,400.
It is important to note that you should carry your passport with you at all times while in Albania. Law enforcement in this country can take you in for questioning if you are stopped and cannot provide your passport for identification.
Can I qualify for tax-free imports of my household goods?
To see if you qualify for tax and duty-free imports of your household goods, answer the following questions:
- have you lived in your home country for at least the past 12 consecutive months?
- have you owned and used these items in your home country for at least 6 months?
- are you prepared to keep these items in your possession for at least a year after you import them to Albania?
If the answer to these questions is yes, you are eligible to import most household items tax and duty-free. You must apply for a Letter of Authorization attesting to your duty-free status. This letter is approved by Albanian customs.
You must be present in Albania when your shipment arrives, having already received a residence card and visa. In addition to these items, you will need to show customs officials the following documents:
- Proof of employment
- Letter from your Albanian employer
- Box-by-box packing list with detailed inventory of all goods
- Bill of Lading if by sea, or Air Waybill if by air
- Visa issued by the Armenian government
- NIPT – This is a tax identification number given to you by your Albanian employer
In addition, you must provide a signed Power of Attorney to authorize customs officials to handle and process your shipment.
Can I import my vehicle to Albania?
As long as your vehicle is less than 10 years old, you will be eligible to import it to Albania.
Vehicles that were manufactured for use in North America must be mechanically modified to meet European Technical Standard Requirements. These alterations must be completed by a qualified mechanic and are not intended to improve your vehicle’s appearance or functionality. These modifications are meant to prepare your vehicle to be driven on the left-hand side of the road and most of the time, the workarounds are pretty unsightly. Do some research on this process before you commit to shipping your vehicle to Albania.
In addition to these requirements, you must provide several documents to customs officials, including:
- Albanian residence permit or visa
- Vehicle purchase invoice
- Clear title free of liens
- Valid passport with at least six months left before expiration
- Vehicle registration from your home country
- Driver’s license – for U.S. drivers, an International Driver’s License will also be needed
Three Men and a Truck
The trickiest part of moving to Albania may be the paperwork. Unless Albanian is your native language, you are going to find that translating your documents and providing the appropriate information in Albanian is a real challenge. Working with an overseas moving company like Three Men and a Truck takes this worry away. With our extensive network of international shipping partners, we can handle everything from paperwork to logistics, getting you to your destination on time and within your budget. To learn more, contact Three Men and a Truck today.
|To or From Albania|