Moving International to or From Czech Republic
Moving Overseas to or From Czech Republic
Importing your household goods to the Czech Republic is pretty straightforward, at least in terms of the shipping. To move a full shipping container, which will fit roughly a 2-bdrm home’s worth of items, will cost between $6,700 to $11,300 from New York City to Prague.
The hardest part of moving to the Czech Republic has to be the paperwork, hands-down. All of your paperwork, from your immigration documents to household and vehicle declarations have to be in the Czech language. For this reason, most people who are moving abroad to the Czech Republic work with overseas movers like Three Men and a Truck.
Read on to learn what you need to know about moving to the Czech Republic.
How can I import my household goods tax-free?
To figure out if your imports are eligible to be imported tax and duty- free, answer the following questions:
- Have you lived in your home country for at least a year before your move to the Czech Republic?
- Have you owned your goods for at least six months?
- Can you commit to not transferring ownership of these items for at least one year after you arrive?
If you can answer yes to all of these questions, you are can import your goods to the Czech Republic within one year of your arrival in the country.
While there may be more, you will be asked to present at least the following documents:
- Czech Residence Visa
- Proof of residence via lease contract or home purchase (You will need to be able to show that you plan to stay at least two years.)
- Bill of Lading for overseas shipments
- Comprehensive inventory with box-by-box packing lists with serial numbers
- Power of Attorney to authorize customs agents to process and clear your shipment
- Passport with at least six months remaining before expiration
Can I bring my vehicle to the Czech Republic?
You are welcome to bring your vehicle to the Czech Republic as long as you have owned it for at least six months. The vehicle must be less than five years old and you will be obligated to keep it in your possession for at least a year.
Customs officials will require a lot of paperwork from you, which must all be completed in Czech. Here is a partial list of documents you need to collect:
- International Auto Insurance Policy
- Proof of Ownership
- Title and Registration in your home country
- Owner’s Manual
- Power of Attorney to authorize customs agents to process and clear your vehicle
Are you from North America? Here’s where it gets extra complicated. Your vehicle will need major mechanical alterations to be driven on the left-hand side of the roadway in the Czech Republic. In addition, you will need to obtain an International Driver’s License to prove that you can drive on European roadways safely.
The best investment
Moving can be expensive even when you do it alone but working with a top rated international moving company like Three Men and a Truck is a great investment. Since you don’t have the time to learn Czech before you leave, working with experts can save you a ton of time and worry. To learn more about how Three Men and a Truck can help with your international move, contact us for a free shipping quote.
|To or From Czech Republic|