Moving International to or From The UK

Moving Overseas to or From The United Kingdom

International Moving


International movers crisscross the planet every day, moving goods from one continent to the next. Most consumers never have to deal with international shippers, since we purchase our consumer goods from retailers instead of dealing with product at the docks.

When moving overseas, the most economical option is generally an overseas shipping container. You can choose between full and half containers, or for vehicles, you could choose RORO, or roll-on, roll-off.

The cost to ship a full container will depend on your point of origin. If you’re just shipping from New York to London, or “across the pond”, as they say, the cost will be between $6,900-$9,400. From Sydney, Australia, the cost will be more like $12,700 – $17,100.

Moving household goods to the UK

If you are moving your household goods to the U.K., you should know that all shipments are subject to rigorous inspection. You must also apply for an EORI (Economic Operators Registration and Identification) numbers before you arrive in the U.K. Customs officials are going to require a lot of documents from you, including:

  • Passport with at least six months until expiration
  • Bill of Lading
  • K. Residence and/or work permit
  • Customs forms
  • Detailed, box-by-box packing list and inventory, with serial numbers and estimates of value

Will I have to pay taxes or customs duty on my items?

If you have owned and used your items for at least six months before your move, you can import these goods to the U.K. free of taxes and duty. You must have lived outside of the U.K. for at least a year and promise to not sell or otherwise dispose of these tax-free goods for at least a year after your arrival in the country. You will have up to one year after your arrival in the U.K. to import your goods.

Moving a private vehicle to the UK

In order to move your vehicle to the U.K., you must have owned the vehicle for at least six months and agree to retain ownership of the vehicle for at least a year after you arrive.

You will need to be on hand for the customs declaration process. Customs officials will require paperwork from you, including the following:

  • Customs forms
  • Declaration for HM Customs – This special form is specific to your vehicle and will contain information about your vehicle’s make, model, fuel type, and more.
  • Valid passport
  • K. Residence and/or work permit
  • Proof of purchase

Vehicles from North America have been manufactured to drive on the right side of the road. In the United Kingdom, vehicles are driven on the left side of the road. Extensive changes to your vehicle’s braking, acceleration, and steering will be necessary for you to drive your vehicle legally in the U.K. These modifications must be made by a qualified mechanic. Take some time to do some research on this process before you commit to it. You may find that you like your vehicle enough to leave it home.

Working with an overseas moving company

Relocating overseas is a big move. With a big move comes big responsibilities, but you don’t have to carry that burden alone. By working with an international moving company like Three Men and a Truck, you gain valuable partners who will help you throughout the process. We can help you avoid costly mistakes, delays, and complications, giving you great peace of mind. To learn more about how our team can help with your overseas relocation, contact us for a free quote.


Written by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend is a moving professional and relocation expert that has more than 10 years of experience in the moving industry. With a background that includes working in virtually every aspect of the company, he has distinguished himself as an integral part of our operations with expertise in all things related to moving.

If you have any questions about moving, our services, or anything else you think he may be able to help with, you can contact Chris by emailing him at

Ready to Move?

Get A Quote To Move

Contact an agent by filling out the fast quote form and get your next move started today!

Get a quote to move