Where To Find FREE Moving Boxes In San Francisco?
Whether you hire professional San Francisco movers or handle your move DIY style, it’s going to cost and you need to budget for it. In many cases, hiring a full-service moving company to do all the work is just as cost-effective as a DIY move and more affordable than what you think. So your budget doesn’t have a lot of breathing room, every place you can save a buck is crucial. One of the first cost-cutting measures that comes to mind is where to find FREE moving boxes.
What size boxes should you look for?
If you go to home improvement stores and moving truck rental companies, they sell moving boxes in standardized sizes. We have put together the following information to help you determine the different box sizes to look for:
- Small (approx. 16”x12”x12”) – these can be used for books and magazines, CD’s and DVD’s, and kitchen gadgets.
- Medium (approx. 18”x16”x18”) – these are ideal for bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths
- Large (approx. 18”x18”x24”) – you pack a variety of items in these such as bedding, small appliances (can openers, toasters, etc.), and throw pillows
- Extra-large (approx. 24”x20”x24”) – use these for your bulkier, lightweight items like blankets, comforters, and pillows
Remember, the larger the box is, the more lightweight the items should be that you’re packing in them.
How many boxes do you need?
Now that you have an idea of the different box sizes to look for, it’s important to know how many you’re going to need. After all, you don’t want to be wasting time making multiple trips to when considering where to find FREE moving boxes in San Francisco CA. It makes more sense to set aside several hours or an entire day and getting all the boxes you need rather than constantly running in and out looking for more.
We use the following information to determine the number and size of boxes needed for moving based on the size of the home that is getting packed up and loaded on our moving trucks:
- 1 to 2 room studio apartment – 8 small, 6 medium, 4 large, and 2 XL boxes
- 2 to 3 room apartment or small home – 10 small, 8 medium, 6 large, and 3 XL boxes
- 4 to 5 room home – 18 small, 15 medium, 15 large, and 4 XL boxes
- 6 to 7 room home – 30 small, 25 medium, 20 large, and 10 XL boxes
- 8 to 9 room home – 40 small, 30 medium, 30 large, and 12 XL boxes
Having a variety of boxes ensures that you’ll always have the right ones you need for every item you plan on packing up.
Where are the best places to find FREE boxes?
If you have a decent idea of where to find FREE moving boxes in San Francisco, you’re already a step ahead of the game. To make things easier for you, we’ve compiled the following list of places that can help you out when looking for FREE moving boxes:
- Bars and restaurants – there are hundreds of these in the city and all of them have empty boxes they’ll gladly let you haul off. This is especially true with bars that receive their shipments in boxes with dividers in them, which is perfect for packing glasses and stemware that break easily.
- Bookstores – another great place to score FREE moving boxes are places like Barnes and Noble or Borders bookstores. Their customers rarely need any cardboard boxes so they wind up accumulating in the back room of these stores.
- Grocery and liquor stores – whether it’s canned goods, cheeses, or liquor bottles, they’re all packed in boxes that these places dispose of (unless they’re recycling). These are always a good choice for finding FREE moving boxes
- Pharmacies – when you’re thinking about where to find FREE moving boxes in San Francisco, stores such as CVS and Walgreens typically have a lot of empty boxes to spare. Plus, they probably won’t get mad at you for saving them the time and trouble of disposing of them.
Planning a move alone can be difficult. If you are already stressed at the idea of packing your home all by yourself, don’t wait any longer. Just give us a call and we’ll arrange the packing supplies and a team to help you pack your home safely. If you need any specific services, do let us know. We’ll help you at every step of the way.