Your Moving Checklist – Steps To Take For A Smoother Move
Moving can be a real inconvenience, and if you’re moving for the first time in a while, it’s helpful to have a moving checklist to reference as you prepare for your move. Read on, and get some simple tips to follow in the months and weeks leading up to your move!
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move
This is when you want to start getting organized and begin planning the basics of your move. At this time, you should:
- Create a moving binder to keep all of your documents in one place
- Measure your furniture
- Pack up your first box
- Back up your digital files
- Choose between professional & DIY moving
- Research moving companies
- Create an inventory of your stuff
- Sell or donate items you don’t want
- Request time off work, if needed
- Do a deep clean of your home
- Start collecting moving supplies (boxes, tape, etc.)
2-4 Weeks Before Your Move
At this point, you should be focusing on hiring a moving company and making other such arrangements, gathering up your moving supplies, and packing some of your stuff.
- Finalize your moving & travel arrangements
- Contact your utility providers to cancel your old utilities and set up new utilities
- Get a tune-up for your car
- Fill your prescriptions
- Change your address
- Update and cancel memberships or subscriptions, such as gym memberships
- Confirm your moving dates and information with your moving company
- Begin packing, starting with items in storage areas and other non-essential items
- Make arrangements for pet sitting & babysitting, if necessary
1 Week Before Your Move
It’s coming down to the wire! Now, your goal is to have everything set and ready to go by your moving day.
- Continue packing up room-by-room. Leave the kitchen for last, as well as essentials like bedding in bedrooms
Start disassembling large furniture items, if needed
- Clean up your empty rooms as much as possible
- Pack up a suitcase with moving essentials
- Create a “24-hour kit” with phone chargers, snacks, and other essentials you can use before you unpack at your new home
- Take photos and videos of your empty home to confirm its condition before you move out. This ensures you can prove it was in good condition
You can let your movers take things from here, but there are a few things you should do!
- Be up early to prepare
- Clear a path through your home for your movers
- Make sure the paperwork is in order when they arrive
- Make yourself available to answer questions about your move
- Provide donuts or pizza and water for your movers, particularly for long, tough jobs. They’ll appreciate it!
- Conduct a final walkthrough of your home after everything is moved out
- Tip your movers when the job is done
Prepare For Your Big Move With This Simple Checklist!
Moving is tough, but this simple checklist will help you prepare week-by-week as you approach your moving date. Need moving help? Three Men And A Truck is here to help with standard or full-service moving services nationwide. Contact us online or call now at (888) 908-6496 to get help with local or long distance moving now.