Craigslist Moving Companies Near You
Over the last several decades, technological advancements have drastically changed our lifestyles. More specifically, our widespread use of the internet is arguably the most significant and consequential one of all. As a result, it comes as no surprise that people are spending more and more time at home – working from home, studying from home, buying things online, and completing various online transactions. This is especially true as of 2020 with the current COVID-19 pandemic.
When many home movers become faced with an impending relocation, it is not uncommon for them to turn to popular websites, such as Craigslist, in search of dependable and affordable movers. Although Craigslist may be a good place to find bargain deals and cheap movers. Hiring Craigslist movers actually presents substantial risks and you should carefully weigh your options before you make any decisions.
Is it Safe to Hire Movers Off of Craigslist?
If you’re currently preparing for a move, you’re likely looking for an efficient way to make your relocation both affordable and stress-free. With this in mind, many homeowners choose to search for moving assistance on Craigslist for its convenience and affordability. The entire site is designed around convenience, you can schedule your move in minutes, and you generally don’t have to deal with any paperwork. Craigslist is also the best place to strike a bargain.
Despite these points in favor, hiring movers off of Craigslist can be risky and isn’t entirely safe. In fact, choosing to work with Craigslist movers can very easily transform your entire moving experience into a nightmare.
Why You Should Avoid Hiring Movers From Craigslist
When looking for moving services on Craiglist, it’s very likely that you may come across uncertified, uninsured, unqualified movers, or even worse – rogue movers.
- Improper professional training. Those who advertise their moving services on Craigslist usually lack the necessary knowledge and training to perform a good job. They do not have the experience, nor the skills to properly handle heavy furniture, large appliances, and delicate and fragile pieces. In many cases, they also lack the suitable equipment to move your belongings safely and efficiently. Even if you select Craigslist movers who are well-meaning and trustworthy, you can experience unintentional damage to your items simply due to incompetence.
- Potential scammers. Over the last decades, Craigslist moving scams have become more widespread. Rogue movers prey on innocent and gullible Craigslist users. If you’re looking on Craigslist to avoid having to do a bunch of paperwork, this is often an advantage for rogue movers. This essential paperwork is designed to define the terms and conditions of the moving process to ensure your protection against being scammed. With no signed contract, insurance, or bond, the movers are not responsible if one of your items gets lost, stolen, or damaged.
- Unreliable movers. On Craigslist, you are very likely to come across moving companies that are unreliable. While the ad may have been very enticing, especially if they’re offering a very low rate, the movers may not have been entirely honest about the quality of their services. As a result, you could be left with movers who are untrained, careless, late on moving day, or even con artists who steal your money or possessions. Some fraudulent last-minute attempts from Craigslist movers include, asking for two movers and they send more or less, stating they have a 4-hour minimum charge you must pay even if your move only takes two hours, or asking for a large deposit upfront before the move has occurred.
Although Craigslist movers may seem cheaper and easier to deal with than professional moving companies, you get what you pay for. It is never a good idea to skimp on quality moving services, especially when it comes to the transport of your most prized possessions. Hiring movers off of Craigslist could very likely result in a lot of headaches, wasted time, and wasted money.
How to Avoid Moving Scams on Craigslist
If you’re still adamant about obtaining moving services from Craigslist, it’s important that you are aware of the red flags to avoid possible moving fraud and hiring suspicious individuals. The following are some tips to help protect yourself against Craigslist moving scams:
- Research your movers. Although it may not be very easy to vet the movers you find on Craigslist, practicing necessary precautions will certainly pay off. Try asking them for any feedback or opinions of from their past customers. You can also investigate their social media presence, website, and ask for their credentials to verify them.
- Get acquainted with the scam tips, scam reports, and personal safety tips from Craigslist. Craigslist publishes their own set up tips to avoid potential scammers on their website. If you do come across a scam, be sure to report immediately so that no one else falls into the same hole.
- Never pay upfront before the services are completed. As a general rule of thumb, if you pre-pay for anything, you open yourself up to being scammed. In fact, you may never hear from your movers again, as they run off with your money. Any requests for large deposits or advance cash payments is a major red flag.
- Look out for warning signs. Lack of detailed information (especially contact information), vague descriptions of services, generic or stock images, abnormally low moving estimates, and other similar red flags should trigger you to find a more reliable mover.
- Sign a written agreement. Always be sure to discuss all the details in advance of the move and ask for an estimate in writing. Inquire about any additional services, fees, unforeseen circumstances that may arise, and all other essential details related to your move before you make a final decision. Also, make sure to sign a written agreement that outlines all of the terms and conditions of the move, including the rates and charges for all services. NEVER sign blank or incomplete moving documents.
Choose The Reliable Movers at Three Men And A Truck
You’ve likely arrived on this page in search of “Craigslist movers near me.” However, if you feel that the downsides and risks involved in hiring Craigslist movers simply aren’t worth it, consider partnering with a professional moving company. Three Men And A Truck has been in the moving industry for over thirty years, providing the necessary experience and quality services to relocate your belongings safely and efficiently. No move is too small, too large, or too complex for our team of dedicated and highly-trained movers.
Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, we have the services and equipment needed to complete your relocation safely, securely, and timely. In addition to residential moves, we also perform commercial moves for those needing to relocate their small office or entire business. Need a temporary or long-term storage solution, Three Men And A Truck has conveniently located storage facilities to fit your needs. If you need additional help with packing and unpacking, we’ve got you covered there too!
Fill out our online request form or contact us by phone today for your FREE, no-obligation moving quote! Our estimates are always fully customized and accurate to ensure that you get the best rate, without compromising quality of service.