Moving Companies Egypt To Germany
The Federal Republic of Germany is the second largest country in Europe by population and is a central player in European politics and culture. More than just the home of Oktoberfest, Germany is a popular destination for ex-pats due to the country’s reputation for safety, stability, and yes, ok, beer.
Living in Germany will give you access to all the benefits of EU membership. The opportunity to travel freely throughout the European Union gives you the ultimate freedom to explore the continent. Europe’s high-speed rail systems make it realistic to travel to Switzerland this weekend and Italy the next. The world is your oyster.
Importing Household Goods to Germany
One of the first questions people ask when moving internationally is about what they will owe for customs duty and taxes, and for good reason. Failure to check on these rules can cost you many thousands of dollars. For permanent moves, Germany will allow you to import your household goods free of custom and border taxes.
To qualify for tax and duty-free imports, you must provide documentation to demonstrate:
- Official termination for your residence in Egypt (Documentation could include a lease termination or sale agreements for your previous home in Egypt)
- Proof of new residence in Germany (Again, this could be a lease agreement, Einwohnermeldeamt [German police registration], or a letter from your German employer.)
- Proof of residency outside Germany for at least 12 months (This requirement may be met by a lease agreement or other documents.)
As always, you should reach out to the German embassy nearest you for the most current guidance. Not all household goods will qualify for this exemption and there are some items that are strictly prohibited, including firearms, plants, alcohol, and endangered animals.
Importing a Vehicle to Germany
When moving to Germany permanently, you can import your vehicle tax and duty-free. The requirements for this exemption are the same as the rules for your household imports. You must be able to show that you have permanently given up your residence in Egypt and are moving permanently to Germany.
In addition to these paperwork requirements, modifications to your vehicle may be required, particularly to your headlights, emissions, brakes, or even tires. Even if your vehicle meets all the technical and mechanical requirements, your vehicle will be inspected for roadworthiness and adherence to safety standards. Contact your local Kfz-Zulassungsstelle (German motor vehicle registration office) to learn more.
Now that you have successfully moved your vehicle into the country and processed it through customs, you must register the vehicle in Germany. To register your vehicle, you will need to provide:
- Valid Passport or Other ID
- Proof of Vehicle Ownership (free of liens or encumbrances)
- Proof of Address in Germany
- Customs Clearance
- Export Permit
- Vehicle Registration from Egypt
- Insurance Card
- Proof of Roadworthiness and Emissions Testing
- Certification from the German Federal Motor Vehicle Registry attesting that the vehicle has not previously been registered in the country
Three Men and a Truck
For most people, the process of moving internationally can be stressful. There are a lot of steps to the process, and you could be dealing with a language barrier and unfamiliar customs. Working with an international mover will give you the best possible moving experience. Three Men and a Truck is an overseas moving company with deep expertise and experience. Contact us today to learn more and to receive your free, no-obligation international moving price quote.